Thursday, June 14, 2012

Marketing Magik

The day that we woke up to the garbage men fetching a large piece of our fence out of the alley, I decided to go to Central Market on my work break. The hubby enjoys great food and I felt like he deserved something extra special for the unexpected stress. I approached three men at the wino help desk. When asked if I needed help, I asked if they had any Trocken Rieslings. The man showed me their Trocken Rieslings and I was instantly drawn to this one:


For anyone who understands German, this is Genius Marketing! In the German language, eins = one, zwei = two, drei = three. (To English speakers, "Eins" is pronounced like Heinz, "Zwei" is pronounced like sv-eye, and "Drei" is pronounced like dry.) So, to market their Trocken (German for "dry") Riesling, they made a play on words. Beautiful.

I will show some examples of not-so-genius marketing later on, where foreigners are allowed to play with English words, sometimes to disastrous consequences.

We have yet to try this wine, but that is some damn fine marketing, my friends. I will let you know if it was actually dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment