Thursday, June 28, 2012

Fruity

This has been a week of me dealing with different types of fruit. With site search, it's easy to get lost for a few hours because you're really concentrating and there are always more search terms that you can add or tweak.

I realized that I had never made sure that I had covered all of the fruits that are included in our products. I started with lemons and ended up covering every obscure fruit that's on our site.

When I searched for "lemon," I got 194 results:


The search for "lemons" also gave me 194 results:


Sadly, when I looked up "Zitrone" (German for lemon), I only got 24 results:


"Zitronen" (German for lemons) gave me even fewer results:



So, I went to my list and included the singulars and plurals of lemon in both languages:

Once I did this, I ended up with 197 results when I searched for all of these terms:

Of course, lemons led to limes, which led to other citrus fruits. Then, I started on the berries and obscure European berries (what exactly is a Lingonberry?). I think that I have now covered singulars, plurals and any logical misspellings of both. 

It's actually quite a powerful feeling to know that you control a site's search and makes me want to perfect it even more. It's called job security. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that you have to do so much of this manually. It would be nice if Google SEO automatically did Google Translate version at first so you only had to worry about the common misspellings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner. You're right. It is surprising that I have to do everything manually. But, I think that this may not have been done before with regards to German food. If nothing else, it's a fun challenge that I can work on and share.

    ReplyDelete